Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Stabbing At John Tyler High School

KLTV Channel 7 News

I am a level BEYOND pissed. I can’t believe something like this has happened to my state, my home town, my alma mater. A teacher was killed today at John Tyler High School in Tyler, Texas. Never heard of this place? Well it’s about 2 hours east of Dallas in the very heart of East Texas.
For some reason a regular student felt that it was right to pick on a special education student and preceded to stab him and in the process, math teacher, Todd Henry, was stabbed. He later died on the way to the hospital. My heart, soul and spirit, goes out to his family for healing.
I am enraged by all of this and the level keeps rising higher and higher. There is no way I’m going to sit here and believe that officials let it get THIS far. My sister is a teacher at the very school and every day I prayed that she would be okay and that where she worked was safe for her. This just proves to not only the Local officials but to the school and the community that this is not a safe zone for children as we have led our children believe. There was virtually NO security. No strong presence that ensured the safety of the students. So tell me, why in the hell could something like this get this far
Don’t get me wrong. The boy that did this should get prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But he’s not the only blame. I blame the principal for not getting into the school, learning the students, and this is all coming first hand. I blame the district for not enforcing MANDATORY security to ensure that our family members are safe. I blame, especially, the board for allowing someone with the competency of a grape to come in and change things that had been in place for years to come and has made John Tyler a safe place for kids to learn. Not saying that everything was all roses and stars, but at least no one died. At least students learned. At least would not be in danger every day while at school.
It was brought to my attention that after Columbine that it was MANDATORY that ALL schools have security on detail to ensure the safety of the students. Trust me I don’t mind especially if it’s going to mean no one dies today. It is sad that it takes something as extreme as this to come into our lives and beg for change.
I’m laughing behind my tears because they wouldn’t even let the president talk to our kids and inspire them to do something different with their lives, be part of the change. It enrages me to the point of insanity and I want to yell and scream. I am a parent, I am a family member, I am former student and alumni of the school, I am a citizen of the city who DEMANDS better of its district. This was uncalled for and yes this was seen to happen if things didn’t change or even change BACK to security being present at the schools. Police officers being present on the campus. Hell I’m not above metal detectors, CORRECT searches procedures in order to gain the safety of school back.
The funny thing is that I’m not just speaking for John Tyler. I’m speaking for every student, faculty member, family member, community, city, state that has had this problem and it has NOT gone a way by just changing hands to someone else. We need leaders. Not pansy, push-overs, or political idols that think that the quickest solution is a quick buck. WE NEED SOME ONE THAT CARES FOR OUR CHILDREN TO GUIDE THEM. What had been done today was not a display of guidance.

Truly, John Tyler, and every school with this problem, has been left behind.

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Leah,
That is truly horrific. My heart goes out to the families of those affected. I remember Columbine vividly. I had just graduated nursing school and watched with a friend of mine and wondered why and how could this happen. What is going on with todays children. Your absolutely right that school is NOT a safe zone anymore! I worry everyday about my son. I dont think for a minute that his teacher, principle or anyone else in that school cares as much about his safety as I do, and that is just wrong! I believe a lot of this starts in the home. We have lost touch with just that, touch, communication, love, and understanding. Now dont get me wrong, Im not a liberal by any sense of the word, but something is really wrong when children are striking out like this. I think we have become a society of "its not my responsibility" which is so sad.

Unknown said...

Oh, this is horrible! I am so sorry. You have my sincere prayers and good wishes, and my prayers for the family of the victim.

I hope that something changes soon at the school.

Angela Knight

Leah Vaughn said...

You are so very right and just by that one thought "Not my problem" it has become a viral thing that has spread everywhere and now all of our children have been thrown away.

Susan said...

My heart goes out to everyone touched by this tragedy. What a waste!

I cannot help but wonder what is the root cause - not just of this hideous incident, but of the entire culture where such an evil can flower and does so repeatedly.

When I was in school, the idea of school security was laughable and rarely went beyond one of the coaches patrolling the parking lot in the afternoon. A simple fist fight was a big deal - usually the kids involved were suspended and then ostracized by the rest of the class. Such behavior was unacceptable.

Now starting a fight is nothing, looked on as normal and inevitable.The ones who start the fight are even looked on as 'cool' and respected. We as a society must realize that those who start a fight today and are lauded for it might very well escalate the action (or inspire someone else) to stab/shoot/whatever someone tomorrow.

When did this shift occur? When did our values become so perverted that the 'bad boys' are idolized and respected? This is not a problem that can be solved by metal detectors and policemen in the schools. There has to be a paradigm shift in every home, in every facet of our culture so that such behavior is not tolerated.

None of which will help the grief and loss of those affected by this current tragedy. One can only pray for them. Then we - all of us, every one - must work to see that it never happens again anywhere.

Unknown said...

Horrific, but nothing new. This type of behavior has been around as long as mankind. I'm sixty-three, and I still recall the terrible way special education students were treated by others. Differences have never been tolerated, and while the school can be held responsible in some respect, the heart of these matters rest in the home and the lack of parental guidance and moral teachings. My prayers to all involved, but often when we point fingers, we have more aiming back at us. Our economy that demands that both parents work and children are left to their own devices have put way too much burden on school boards and teachers. Some people are outraged when their children are 'frisked' before entering a school, and others demand it. It's a typical case of 'damned if you do, and damned if you don't. What's the answer?

Anonymous said...

The creator of this universe should help us.
Invitation Letters